June Wants To Kick My Ass
June 4, 2010 2 Comments
I should’ve seen this coming; June wants to kill me. Multiple events per day on multiple occasions. Family obligations. Friends who I haven’t seen in awhile and really want too — but probably won’t be able to. New friends that I’d like to meet in real life, but that also looks unlikely. I’m still trying to figure out if this was bad planning on my part, or is the universe trying to wear me down and stress me out. Let’s look at my calendar for the month after the jump…
MY JUNE CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- Lunch with the egg-donor my children’s mother. I still need to write about this lovely experience.
- Kid Weekend: The start of my 7 days with my kids, and I totally value spending time with them.
- KROQ Weenie Roast: I have a single ticket for this event, in the pit. Having been to this annual, multi-band, all-day concert many times in the past years I really looked forward to going and getting my first chance to be in the pit at this event. However, I don’t really want to go alone — Being there alone is fine. I know I’d make new friends. It’s the 2+ hours of driving alone one-way. — I have other things occurring this day, but most significantly it’s the money. Since I’m still not working, I find it hard to justify spending over $200 — between the ticket, gas, food, beer, beer — just to enjoy myself.
- Soccer Tournament: My kids and I volunteer in our local AYSO region. They’ve made a hard commitment to volunteer at a tournament this weekend. I don’t have to do it really, but it’s in my nature.
- eWaste Collection: Yep, it’s on my calendar so I’m including it here. I have several old electronics taking up space in the garage that I need to get rid of, so I need to take advantage of the free drop-off.
- Soccer Tournament: It’s a 2-day event
- eWaste Collection: Also a 2-day event
- Senior Event for Daughter’s Graduation: An event for parents and seniors to kick-off their last week of high school
- Pub Quiz: I haven’t been in awhile. Well not at the same time as several friends that attend too. I haven’t seen them in far too long, so I’d like to attend.
- Board Meeting: I’m a board member for one of my volunteer groups.
- Magic Mountain: Son is going with his 8th grade class
- Grad Night: Daughter is going with her class
- Son’s Promotion Ceremony: I’m losing one high school student and gaining another.
- Daughter’s Graduation: When did she get this old!?
- Graduation/Promotion Dinner: Get the entire family together after the events (which do not conflict in time). This will probably occur at my house…. sigh.
- Birthday for a BFF
- Birth-father’s Birthday: Though I won’t be doing anything for it
- World Cup: Plan to watch the USA game at BFF’s house.
- Test: A written exam for a job I’m applying for
- Nephew’s naming ceremony
- Bagels and coffee with former co-workers
- Kid Weekend
- Salute! Beer Festival in Ventura: I’ll be writing of review of this event.
- SoCal Blogger Beach thing: Sorry, but I won’t be able to make this. I really sad about this too.
- Father’s Day: Still not sure what I’m doing on this day.
- Daughter gone for 2-days for her college freshman orientation
June 25 & 26
- Attending the NHL draft in LA
- Brother’s birthday
- Attending Warped Tour in Ventura
I do believe that the weekend of Friday the 11th-13th is the worst few days.
The worst part about this month is the cost of it all. I’m still not working so I don’t have a significant income. I still have a goodly amount of my severance/vacation pay/savings to live on for a long time, but I’m trying to pinch pennies. There are several expenses where I either feel like I have to spend the funds, or I simply really do have to spend the money. I think this is my number one stress inducer.
I want to get my kids graduation gifts. Father’s Day is coming (along with my dad’s b-day soon after in July). College expenses for my daughter; and the egg donor her mom isn’t helping. I think it’s all starting to get to me.
Sitting at the computer isn’t going to help though… unless I’m job-hunting, or selling my kid’s forgotten about collection of Yu-Gi-Oh! cards on eBay.